Our new officers have been elected for 2017. They are as follows:
- Fred Hirsch, President
- Doug Schmidt, VP Competitions
- Ryan Willson, VP Education
- Orris Wickham, Treasurer
- Bill Briggs, Historian
- Rusty Brinkman, Secretary
2017 is just getting started, and lots of things are already in the pipeline with the High Plains Drafters. You can follow regular updates, homebrewing news and regional beer events through our club discussion page on Facebook as well as our club mailing list.
Ongoing beer education & tasting meetings are now moved to the last Wednesday of the month. Our next meeting will be on February 22nd, 6:30pm @ Shawn’s house. We’ll be judging and discussing IPA. You can get more info at the Facebook event posting.
Coming up in March, we’ll be helping coordinate the homebrew competition with the Wyoming Brewer’s Festival. This is a Wyoming only competition, held in Cheyenne on March 11th. Unlike prior competitions, we’ll be helping run this as a sanction BJCP competition. There is no entry fee, but only a max of 3 entries per brewer will be accepted. We’ll be setting up categories once we have a better idea of the number of entries we receive, but will have places for each category, a best of show and two brewers will select beers to be served at the festival from the placing beers.
In addition to the competition with the festival, homebrewers have been invited to serve homebrew at the competition. If you’re interested in brewing and serving beer for festival goers, please sign up here. Preference may be given to brewers who have entered beers into the competition, but we are hopeful to be able to serve as much homebrew as possible. Dates for the festival are June 16 & 17. If you intend to serve, you will likely be required to attend a TIPS training session as well.
In April, this year’s Eight Seconds of Froth will be the 23rd annual competition and the second oldest on the front range. We’re already gearing up, as we’ve moved the competition up to April, 29th. Keep an eye out for new announcements on prizes and additional judging dates through the mailing list and Facebook discussion group. If you’d like to get involved with the competition, please contact Doug on the club mailing list. Additional information is available here.
We’re also in the process of planning a small homebrewing competition with the Laramie County Fair. This will be August 5th and will be conducted at the fair along with homebrewing demonstrations.
Our commitees help organize some club events and improve home brew culture in our community. If you’re interested in any of these groups, please feel free to contact any club officer for more info, or reach out on the mailing list for contact info:
- Competition Committee – As always the annual competition needs volunteers for various tasks. With our additional competitions this year, anyone is welcome to help. On competition days, stewards and judges are always welcome to participate. If you don’t have judging experience, our monthly BJCP education meetings will help get you up to speed.
- Social Committee – Lots of planning going on for the Summer party and possible camping trip. They are also looking at future brewery tours and other social events outside of the meetings.
- Marketing/Internet Committee – We’re looking out for new members and ways of including more home brewers in the club from the local area. If you have ideas on promoting homebrewing and the club to others and how we can appeal to brewers outside the club, please let us know.
Upcoming regional competitions (Feb-March deadlines)
If you’re planning on entering into Sweetheart’s Revenge or Dredhop, entries are being transported to Fort Collins on Feb 10th @ 5pm. Contact Fred through Facebook or email for more information.
For more information on our recent club meeting, the minutes have been posted here.